Do I need SSL?
The answer is 'yes' if you:
- Collect any personal data: names, phone numbers, addresses, credit cards, social security numbers, etc.
- Accept credit cards or process orders online
- Share confidential information over the Internet
- Want to increase customer and visitor confidence
What is SSL?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protects sensitive information during online transactions easily and securely. It authenticates the identity of your Web site and encrypts information sent to the server using encryption technology. The certificate is based on your domain name, for example: https://www.yourdomain.com/, where yourdomain.com is your actual domain name.
What is the difference between SSL and shared SSL?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a certificate that is based on your domain name, whereas a shared SSL, which we offer to all of our customers, is one that uses FatCow's domain name. For example:
- SSL: https://www.yourdomain.com (where yourdomain.com is your actual domain name)
- Shared SSL: https://yourUsername.fatcow.com